The significance of 14th June for residents of the Land of Oświęcim
The Germans brought the first transport of 728 Polish prisoners from Tarnów to Oświęcim on 14th June 1940. This date is considered to be the launch of the Nazi German camp KL Auschwitz.
Shortly afterwards the German occupiers evicted local Poles from their homes. These included inhabitants of Brzezinka, Harmęże, Pławy, Bor, Rajsko, Klucznikowice, Babice, Broszkowice and the Oświęcim – Zasole neighbourhood. The extermination camp was established along with its agricultural and industrial supply network.
The several years of the camp’s existence left a deep mark not only on the life of the people living in the shadow of KL Auschwitz but also on the town which had centuries of beautiful history.