Museum

The Museum will be created in the so-called “Lagerhaus” situated approximately 200m from the former German concentration camp KL Auschwitz-Birkenau. From 1924 this building was a warehouse for raw materials of the Tobacco Cultivation Unit of the Polish Tobacco Monopoly. In the years 1940 – 44, as the so-called “Lagerhaus” it was a food storage unit for the SS camp staff.

“This initiative aims to remember the heroic inhabitants of the land of Oświęcim who brought aid to the prisoners and victims of KL Auschwitz-Birkenau. We want to tell of their life and their suffering as well as show that the land of Oświęcim is not only a place marked by a painful history, but that it is also a land of beautiful history and tradition.” Zbigniew Starzec, former Oświęcim Starost (District Head).